Scrapping My Car

Here’s everything you need to know about the car scrapping process in Scotland.

Should I scrap my car?

You might need to scrap a car in Scotland if it has become too old to manage. Many scrap yards pay cash for the value of the metalwork or elements of the car (doors, frames and seats) as they can be used to bring new life to other vehicles. You can do a quick online search to see who buys scrap cars. 

How much can I make from scrapping my car?

The amount you get for your scrapped car depends on two main factors.  

Firstly, scrap yards look at the amount of scrap metal available on the car. If you're scrapping a light-weight car such as a FIAT 500, there is less usable metal on it that the scrap yard can actually take. However, if you're scrapping a Land Rover Discovery or Defender, it could lead to a good bit of cashback as these vehicles tend to be built predominately with metal rather than alloys or plastics.

The second thing to consider is how usable the parts are. If your vehicle is in good condition for its age, you might find that the seats, dashboard, steering wheel and headlights still have good value.

What can I sell?

An alternative to taking a car to a scrap yard is itemising what's left in your car and selling parts on eBay. Whatever you do, always remove the battery before removing or fiddling with the car’s power or electronics. Once you've removed anything potentially dangerous in the car, you can start to look at individual items that you might be able to scrap yourself:

  • Tyres
  • Radio System
  • Seats
  • Gearstick
  • Steering Wheel
  • Windshield Wipers

What documents do I need to scrap my car?

It is a legal requirement that your vehicle is scrapped by an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). Licences to use these are issued either by the Environmental Agency or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency. You can be prosecuted for scrapping with a non-licensed firm. These are the documents you will need to get approval.

  • V5 logbook/registration certificate (for your vehicle to be scrapped you are legally required to complete section 9 of the V5C vehicle registration certificate – also known as your car’s “logbook” – and send it to the DVLA. “Can I scrap a car without a logbook?” is a commonly asked question. If you cannot locate it, you can scrap a car without a V5 replacement but will still need to send the required details to the DVLA in writing (contact them for more information).
  • A letter confirming that any outstanding finance on the car has been paid off
  • MOT certificates
  • Service history (if applicable)

Once an ATF agrees to scrapping your car, you will be issued a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) as proof that you’ve handed the vehicle over and are no longer responsible for it.

With the introduction of Low Emission Zones in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow, the Scottish Government has introduced disposal grants for non-LEZ compliant vehicles. Households and micro-businesses can apply for a £2000 grant.

Visit Scotland's Car Buyer